Microsoft has released its list of games that will be available for free in January 2017, making your Happy New Year even better. This month will see three free Xbox One games and two free Xbox 360 games available for all Xbox Gold members. Both Microsoft and Sony have been releasing free games on a monthly basis for their console systems and subscription memberships for quite a while now. It’s a great opportunity to try out some excellent games you may not have heard of or have always wanted to try.
Microsoft’s version of the free game offerings, called Games With Gold, has a total of five games for January 2017 with varying dates of availability. The free Xbox One games and free Xbox 360 games available include:
- Deathtrap: World of Van Helsing (XONE) – A tower defense style action game with a number of role playing game elements. Available January 1 – 31.
- Killer Instinct Season 2 (XONE) – A fighting video game that features nine fighters from season 2 with single and multiplayer game modes. Available January 16 – February 15.
- Outlast (XONE) – First person survival horror game where players control a journalist investigating human experiments taking place at a psychiatric hospital. Available December 16 – January 15.
- Rayman Origins (X360) – Side scrolling platform action game in the style of the original Rayman game. Single player and local multiplayer for four players is supported. Available January 16 – 31.
- The Cave (X360) – Puzzle platform adventure game based with players take three characters to investigate a magical cave. Available January 1 – 15.
Likewise, Sony has announced the free PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3 and PS Vita games they will be offering free access to starting on January 3rd. The PlayStation games will be available for free access through the end of the month on the PlayStation Network.